FAB8 neuroELT Certificate Course
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Q2. What did are your "take homes" from this intro video?

4 posters

Go down

Q2. What did are your "take homes" from this intro video? Empty Q2. What did are your "take homes" from this intro video?

Post by Admin (Robert) Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:33 pm

Hi everyone!

This is a great video in which Mary Helen Immordino-Yang discusses her academic background.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4JcjDe9Da4
I think you will find her introduction fascinating.

Q2. What did are your "take homes" from video? (What did you get interested in because of this video?)
List as many as you'd like! Very Happy

Robert

Admin (Robert)
Admin

https://fab8.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Q2. What did are your "take homes" from this intro video? Empty Re: Q2. What did are your "take homes" from this intro video?

Post by MAGEE2015 Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:34 am

Mary-Helen discussed how emotions are created through language facilitated expression and more occluded expression through the body and then how culture influences how these emotions are experienced by individuals. She believes that her research through description will provide a basis for teachers to consider how to operationalise these principles in the classroom through understanding how people learn effectively and how this relates to emotion. It wasn't clear what was meant by culture and whether this was more related to macro rather than micro cultures within a country or community. It would be interesting to understand this point a little better.

MAGEE2015

Back to top Go down

Q2. What did are your "take homes" from this intro video? Empty Re: Q2. What did are your "take homes" from this intro video?

Post by Jasongold526 Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:54 am

Take-away #1:
I found her initial story of how she got involved in the field of neuroscience very fascinating. Like her, when I was a university student I was very interested in cultures and language, and just like her I wish I had known (as a university student) that psychology was the field I probably should have been studying vs. the ones I ended up choosing.
After realizing that, I was impressed how she decided to start learning other unfamiliar languages, not just to learn the languages themselves, but to get to that stage/feeling of being a baby again and knowing nothing in order to see from scratch how the brain learns to do various things (read, etc.)
The path she took to get to where she is now was probably my biggest takeaway, because it was a little reassuring to me that she didn’t start out studying the sciences, or even have the intention to be an educator initially.

Take-away #2:
Her dissertation subjects who each were missing one hemisphere of their brain yet could still function surprisingly well (neuroplasticity and how the brain can compensate are truly amazing) --> I liked her comment/joke about how they were “one of the only true right/left hemisphere learners in the world” vs. the myth that many people still hold today that learners are either one or the other

Take-away #3:
Her closing remark: neuroscience on its own doesn’t translate into pedagogy for classroom teaching, it takes another big step of transmitting the info of how the brain works/learns/etc. --> that big step is us, the instructor, who then, looking at their classroom/teaching environment and particular group of students needs to be the bridge between the neuroscience findings and how it can be integrated into the classroom as effective teaching. It’s a daunting yet empowering statement for me.

Jasongold526

Back to top Go down

Post by karlene99 Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:29 pm

TA#1.
I thought that it was interesting that she said that culture shapes reactions and feelings. Living in a Korean culture as a western person, sometimes it is easy to say, "Why are you doing that? That's so backwards or That doesn't make logical sense." After hearing that, really made sense to me because we all react differently to the same situation, even within different groups of the same people. I would react differently to seeing fighter jets in the sky than someone else because seeing military hardware everyday was part of my cultural norm.

TA#2.
Culture shapes biological systems. I never though of culture as a whole as a biological system. That is really new to me.

TA#3.
"Looking into the window of roles, values, norms, social interaction, relationships and how those together are influencing and organizing child development." That was a big WHOA! for me. I really didn't take into account that all of those things influence and help organize child development. Thinking about how that combines with learning is quite complex. That really makes me wonder if I'm doing the right things in my own teaching when you take that into account.

karlene99

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum